- Astronomers Make Massive Discovery on the Far Side of the Moon | Smithsonian June 15, 2019A 1,200-mile-wide crater on the far side of the moon was formed when a huge asteroid with a heavy metal core smashed into the lunar surface billions of years ago. When that happened, the asteroid drilled through layers of the … Continue reading →
- Pageant of Pulchritude: 1927 May 22, 2019(click on photo to enlarge and zoom) Source: Shorpy Historic Picture Archive :: Pageant of Pulchritude: 1927 high-resolution photo
- GoLo or Go Homies May 21, 2019I found this Lowrider Magazine trophy on the corner of Haight and Ashbury in front of the Gap (which closed in 2007) and when David Gonzales’ ‘Homies’ first came out in the early Noughts I spent a small fortune collecting … Continue reading →
- Welding mask, about $8 February 17, 2019Tempting but I’m afraid that it would be too big for my suitcase and I’m pretty sure they won’t let me take it as a carry-on.
- Huancayo, Peru January 28, 2019My destination, Huancayo, is 10,692ft/3,259m above sea level. I live about 260ft/83m above it. I have altitude sickness meds and know about mata de coca but I’m still concerned. I had infantile asthma and even when I ran long distance … Continue reading →
- Watts Towers January 25, 2019Glad to finally Simon Rodia’s amazing sculptures in person. They’re undergoing major restoration so we couldn’t get in but I still enjoyed them.
- Watts Towers January 25, 2019Glad to finally see
- Free Coffee for TSA January 25, 2019Today I bought a 30 cup catering container to give to the TSA folks who are being forced to work without pay
- Homies Go Low January 24, 2019I found this 2001 trophy from Lowrider Clothing on the corner of Haight & Ashbury on my way to work many years ago. When David Gonzales’ ‘Homies’ first came out in the early Noughts I spent a small fortune collecting … Continue reading →
- Norman Just Wants You to Be Clean January 23, 2019
- Astronomers Make Massive Discovery on the Far Side of the Moon | Smithsonian June 15, 2019
Search this site
The San Francisco Bay slideshow
Tag Archives: Creativity
I see what you did there.
As part of the renovation and improvement of Masonic Avenue, a welcome project for me since I regularly bicycle on it and enjoy its newly smooth surface and separated bike lanes, there has been installed this delightful bit of public … Continue reading
From Runiverse, a sort of Russian Google Books: Dear users! Again we present you the “Encyclopedic Dictionary of Brockhaus and Efron”. We carried out work to restore the integrity of the publication. The volumes XXVIIa and XXVIII, dedicated to Russia, and also … Continue reading
When Alfred Stieglitz found out that his protégé Georgia O’Keeffe had accepted a commission to paint the women’s powder room at Radio City Music Hall without his approval he was furious. Having met Diego Rivera and his wife Frieda … Continue reading
Kubrick’s 1950 still of a young woman, with her back to the camera, holding a lipstick with which she has written “I HATE LOVE” on a white fence. If captured on the wing, would it be more of a … Continue reading
I bought this beautiful oil lantern in Thailand many years ago and have never used it. I believe it is designed for outside use (inside it would create soot and CO). I’ve used a flickering LED pumpkin light in it … Continue reading
In late 2013, Bahar Behbahani began a series of paintings inspired by her contemplation of identity. She first came to the United States from Iran in 2003. For a while, she moved between Tehran and the United States, then relocated … Continue reading
Does everyone want to kill Bruce Willis? It sure seems like it. Pierre-Alexandre Chauvat hilariously edited together 53 different movies to make it seem like various characters from movies like Duel, The Bourne Ultimatum, Pulp Fiction, Hot Fuzz, Mad Max: Fury Road and many more are out … Continue reading
Another spectacular video presentation by the group OK Go. This time sponsored by Morton Salt to direct attention to 5 noble charities they have have chosen to support under their Walk Her Walk #walkherwalk program. I can’t improve on her description … Continue reading
This colorful photo was the Wikipedia Image of the Day a few days ago and I loved the ritual described in the caption: Photograph: Muhammad Mahdi Karim Bangles on display in Bangalore, India. These rigid bracelets are usually made from metal, … Continue reading