What will NASA’s Juno spacecraft find when it reaches Jupiter next Monday? Very little, if Juno does not survive Jupiter Orbit Insertion, a complex series of operations in an unknown environment just above Jupiter’s cloud tops. If successful, as explained in the featured video, Juno will swoop around Jupiter, passing closer than any previous spacecraft. The goal is to decelerate, enter into a highly elliptical orbit, and begin two years of science operations. Juno’s science mission objectivesinclude mapping Jupiter’s deep structure, determining how much water is in Jupiter’s atmosphere, and exploring Jupiter’s powerful magnetic field and how it creates auroras around Jupiter’s poles. These lessons hold promise to help humanity better understand the history of our Solar System and the dynamics of our Earth. Juno is powered predominantly by three large solar panels, each measuring a side of small truck. Launched in 2011, Juno’s planned mission will take it around the Jovian giant 37 times, after which, to avoid contaminating Europa with microbes, it will be directed to dive into Jupiter‘s thick atmosphere, where it will break apart and melt.
- Make crime pay. Become a lawyer. ~Will Rogers July 25, 2017by acidcow.com Source: Nobody Expects To Hear These Conversations In Court (45 pics)
- Someday Funnies XX July 22, 2017
- Recent random art in the Haight July 15, 2017On poles and the mini version (shown) above from TRAXB
- Adam West has shuffled off this mortal coil June 11, 2017Happy trails, Mayor West, aka Bruce Wayne, aka the Caped Crusader, aka schoolteacher-tuned-gunfighter Christopher Rolf (on The Rifleman). Thanks for your delightful work.
- Happy Cole Porter Day! June 9, 2017For which I offer these lyrics from the movie “Can Can” Here being sung by Maurice Chevalier to Louis Jourdan:
- 18 Fascinating Items From RadioShack’s Corporate Memorabilia Auction June 8, 2017via Consumerist As part of closing down, RadioShack is emptying out the company museum at its headquarters, and its corporate archives and vault of memorabilia. That means that the company is selling some valuable and cool items, and some boxes of … Continue reading →
- Trump used to be more articulate. What could explain the change? May 29, 2017A very interesting comparison between the linguistic and speech patterns of Donald Trump in the 80s and 90s and today. The amount of cognizant decay is unmistakeable. STAT asked experts to compare Trump’s speech from decades ago to that in 2017. All noticed … Continue reading →
- Banksy chips away at EU flag in first Brexit mural May 10, 2017DOVER (AFP).- British street artist Banksy has created his first mural inspired by Brexit, showing a workman chipping away at one of the stars on the European Union flag. The work appeared on the side of a house on Sunday … Continue reading →
- Mail Me to the GOP May 9, 2017If you die an untimely death, can you have your ashes sent to the person of your choice? What if you would like to send it to your least favorite representative in order to protest legislation they have written or … Continue reading →
- Deciphering the Phonetic Language of Incan Khipu April 27, 2017Dr. Sabine Hyland managed to decipher information contained in twisted chords called khipus, in which records were kept using knots of colored fibers from animals such as alpacas, llamas and deer. Her exciting discovery has the potential to shed light on … Continue reading →
- Make crime pay. Become a lawyer. ~Will Rogers July 25, 2017
Search this site
The San Francisco Bay slideshow