After a fitful new night at the Abrazarse Retreat Healing Center and B&B (during which I only managed 2.5 hrs sleep after moving the too soft mattress to the floor) and discovering the hard way in the middle of the night that though the toilet had a lid, it had no seat, I checked out at 7 a.m. and headed back to Merida. (It being Carnaval there no rooms in any of the other hotels)
Upon hearing my plight my hosts there invited me to join them on what I assumed was an already planned excursion to their beach house in Chicxulub.
It became clear however that this was all strictly for my benefit and when we ascertained that the lab was closed on Mon.& Tues. they invited me to spend the next 3 days here alone.
I’m in a sleepy little beach town made famous around the world for lending its name to the crater made by the meteorite that wiped out the dinosaurs. (not counting those that survived as birds, of course)
- Signs of the Times July 12, 2018As part of the renovation and improvement of Masonic Avenue, a welcome project for me since I regularly bicycle on it and enjoy its newly smooth surface and separated bike lanes, there has been installed this delightful bit of public … Continue reading →
- Someday Funnies XXI May 29, 2018Mostly comics but a bunch of other things I’ve found amusing.
- Detritus of Dope May 20, 2018With the exception of the wooden stash pipe at the bottom that I bought at the Psychedelic Shop soon after my arrival in San Francisco in 1976, everything including the flag, in this display was found (or given to me) … Continue reading →
- My Daughter Receiving Her Master’s Degree May 15, 2018From NYU IN Applied Psychology. Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android
- Costume Institute’s exhibition focuses on fashion and the Catholic imagination May 11, 2018HEAVENLY BODIES: FASHION AND THE CATHOLIC IMAGINATION THE COSTUME INSTITUTE’S SPRING 2018 EXHIBITION at MoMA, NY Imagination, on view from May 10 through October 8, 2018 is on view at The Met Fifth Avenue—in the medieval galleries. The thematic exhibition features a … Continue reading →
- How to tell EXACTLY how many cuts, scrapes, & scratches you have on your hands April 19, 2018Turn the above into that which is below: About 2.5 Liters of Meyer lemon juice Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android
- Scientists accidentally create mutant enzyme… April 18, 2018Anyone who watches science fiction movies is undoubtedly familiar with some version of those words and it never ends well for humankind. But in real life sometimes it does. As Isaac Asimov once said, “The most exciting phrase to hear in science, … Continue reading →
- Vote on the 2018 Haight Street Fair posters at RVCA April 8, 2018For a limited time the finalists for the 2018 Haight Ashbury Street Fair posters will be in the window of RVCA at the corner of Haight and Ashbury for people to go in and vote for. #1, the only hand-drawn … Continue reading →
- Antique Scientific Instruments, Globes and Cameras Auction March 31, 2018An Austrian auction house is currently conducting a sale of an amazing variety of antique scientific instruments that even if you can’t afford them, are delightful to explore. Here’s a few of the items: There are over 162 items to … Continue reading →
- The 12,400km by 200m Nature Preserve March 24, 2018The European Green Belt initiative is a grassroots movement for nature conservation and sustainable development along the corridor of the former Iron Curtain. The term refers to both an environmental initiative as well as the area it concerns. The initiative is carried out under … Continue reading →
- Signs of the Times July 12, 2018
Search this site
The San Francisco Bay slideshow