Image Credit & Copyright: Velimir Popov & Emil Ivanov (IRIDA Observatory) Explanation: What causes the structure in Comet Lovejoy’s tail? Comet C/2014 Q2 (Lovejoy), which is currently at naked-eye brightness and near its brightest, has been showing an exquisitely detailed ion tail. As the name implies, the ion tail is made of ionized gas — gas energized by ultraviolet light from the Sun and pushed outward by the solar wind. The solar wind is quite structured and sculpted by the Sun’s complex and ever changing magnetic field. The effect of the variable solar wind combined with different gas jets venting from the comet’s nucleus accounts for the tail’s complex structure. Following the wind, structure in Comet Lovejoy’s tail can be seen to move outward from the Sun even alter its wavy appearance over time. The blue color of the ion tail is dominated by recombining carbon monoxide molecules, while the green color of of the coma surrounding the head of the comet is created mostly by a slight amount of recombining diatomic carbon molecules. The featured three-panel mosaic image was taken nine days ago from the IRIDA Observatory in Bulgaria. Comet Lovejoy made it closest pass to the Earth two weeks ago and will be at its closest to the Sun in about ten days. After that, the comet will fade as it heads back into the outer Solar System, to return only in about 8,000 years.the coma surrounding the head of the comet is created mostly by a slight amount of recombining diatomic carbon molecules. The featured three-panel mosaic image was taken nine days ago from the IRIDA Observatory in Bulgaria. Comet Lovejoy made it closest pass to the Earth two weeks ago and will be at its closest to the Sun in about ten days. After that, the comet will fade as it heads back into the outer Solar System, to return only in about 8,000 years.
- Make crime pay. Become a lawyer. ~Will Rogers July 25, 2017by acidcow.com Source: Nobody Expects To Hear These Conversations In Court (45 pics)
- Someday Funnies XX July 22, 2017
- Recent random art in the Haight July 15, 2017On poles and the mini version (shown) above from TRAXB
- Adam West has shuffled off this mortal coil June 11, 2017Happy trails, Mayor West, aka Bruce Wayne, aka the Caped Crusader, aka schoolteacher-tuned-gunfighter Christopher Rolf (on The Rifleman). Thanks for your delightful work.
- Happy Cole Porter Day! June 9, 2017For which I offer these lyrics from the movie “Can Can” Here being sung by Maurice Chevalier to Louis Jourdan:
- 18 Fascinating Items From RadioShack’s Corporate Memorabilia Auction June 8, 2017via Consumerist As part of closing down, RadioShack is emptying out the company museum at its headquarters, and its corporate archives and vault of memorabilia. That means that the company is selling some valuable and cool items, and some boxes of … Continue reading →
- Trump used to be more articulate. What could explain the change? May 29, 2017A very interesting comparison between the linguistic and speech patterns of Donald Trump in the 80s and 90s and today. The amount of cognizant decay is unmistakeable. STAT asked experts to compare Trump’s speech from decades ago to that in 2017. All noticed … Continue reading →
- Banksy chips away at EU flag in first Brexit mural May 10, 2017DOVER (AFP).- British street artist Banksy has created his first mural inspired by Brexit, showing a workman chipping away at one of the stars on the European Union flag. The work appeared on the side of a house on Sunday … Continue reading →
- Mail Me to the GOP May 9, 2017If you die an untimely death, can you have your ashes sent to the person of your choice? What if you would like to send it to your least favorite representative in order to protest legislation they have written or … Continue reading →
- Deciphering the Phonetic Language of Incan Khipu April 27, 2017Dr. Sabine Hyland managed to decipher information contained in twisted chords called khipus, in which records were kept using knots of colored fibers from animals such as alpacas, llamas and deer. Her exciting discovery has the potential to shed light on … Continue reading →
- Make crime pay. Become a lawyer. ~Will Rogers July 25, 2017
Search this site
The San Francisco Bay slideshow