For Kids Only is leaving the Haight Ashbury after 30 years.
Few other businesses reflect the changing demographics of this neighborhood as well as this one.
I have dozens of boutiques, cafés, and clothing stores come and go over the years and few had the staying power (and I assume reasonable rent) to last for three decades.
In that time the neighborhood has passed from one with mostly young single people and couples with an active nightlife (5 places with live music in the 1980s) to a much more family oriented one where a store selling toys and kids’ clothing (albeit Ramones, CBGBs, and tie-dyed onesies) could survive and thrive.
I understand that this is also a reflection of gentrification but I have long recognized that as just part of the evolution of the urban environment.
- Fantastic Hieronymus Bosch Piñatas by Roberto Benavidez August 18, 2017LA-based artist Roberto Benavidez, a self-styled “half-breed, South Texan, queer, figurative sculptor specializing in the piñata form; playing on themes of race, sexuality, art, sin, humor and beauty”, has created a set based on the works of Hieronymus Bosch (1450 – 1516), … Continue reading →
- When Punks & Goths Swipe Their Kids’ Coloring Books August 17, 2017This happens: These are from a huge (and growing) Reddit thread called Coloring Corruptions. I realize that a macabre sense of humor is by no means limited to punks and goths but I know they’d all laugh at them. … Continue reading →
- Make crime pay. Become a lawyer. ~Will Rogers July 25, 2017by acidcow.com Source: Nobody Expects To Hear These Conversations In Court (45 pics)
- Someday Funnies XX July 22, 2017
- Recent random art in the Haight July 15, 2017On poles and the mini version (shown) above from TRAXB
- Adam West has shuffled off this mortal coil June 11, 2017Happy trails, Mayor West, aka Bruce Wayne, aka the Caped Crusader, aka schoolteacher-tuned-gunfighter Christopher Rolf (on The Rifleman). Thanks for your delightful work.
- Happy Cole Porter Day! June 9, 2017For which I offer these lyrics from the movie “Can Can” Here being sung by Maurice Chevalier to Louis Jourdan:
- 18 Fascinating Items From RadioShack’s Corporate Memorabilia Auction June 8, 2017via Consumerist As part of closing down, RadioShack is emptying out the company museum at its headquarters, and its corporate archives and vault of memorabilia. That means that the company is selling some valuable and cool items, and some boxes of … Continue reading →
- Trump used to be more articulate. What could explain the change? May 29, 2017A very interesting comparison between the linguistic and speech patterns of Donald Trump in the 80s and 90s and today. The amount of cognizant decay is unmistakeable. STAT asked experts to compare Trump’s speech from decades ago to that in 2017. All noticed … Continue reading →
- Banksy chips away at EU flag in first Brexit mural May 10, 2017DOVER (AFP).- British street artist Banksy has created his first mural inspired by Brexit, showing a workman chipping away at one of the stars on the European Union flag. The work appeared on the side of a house on Sunday … Continue reading →
- Fantastic Hieronymus Bosch Piñatas by Roberto Benavidez August 18, 2017
Search this site
The San Francisco Bay slideshow