Found chair restored

I spotted this chair on the street while giving a walking tour and after I finished went back and got it.

chair01 chair02

It was painted in purple with a sloppy gold wash and the back was broken into three pieces.

I used the broken seat as a template to create a new seat and upholstered it with a material chosen at random at the fabric store, a bright orange snakeskin vinyl.


Next I sanded the base and applied black primer and 5-6 coats of black lacquer:chair02a chair02bchair02c

The deep curve of the back made it impossible to stretch the vinyl snugly so I decided to pleat the material:


I began by folding the material where the pleats would be, heated the edges with a hairdryer, and clamped it for several days:chairback01 chairback02

Starting in the middle with a double fold I laid it out and stapled it to a piece of thick foamcore:

chairback03 chairback04 chairback05

I then heated this with the hairdryer and weighted it with wood and a heavy box:


This worked quite well and I wrapped the vinyl over a piece of foam and attached it in back:


To hide the back I covered a piece of matte board and fastened it with upholstery tacks:

chairback10 chairback11

And attached the seat and back to the frame:


Et voilá:

chairfinal04 chairfinal05 chairfinal06 chairfinal07

It’s quite comfortable and looks great.

About Stan Flouride

THIS BLOG IS ALWAYS AD-FREE I make stuff and do things.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

1 Response to Found chair restored

  1. I blog often and I really thank you for your information. This great article has truly
    peaked my interest. I’m going to bookmark
    your website and keep checking for new information about once
    a week. I opted in for your RSS feed too.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s