This unopened bottle was left on the steps of the Grateful Dead house at 710 Ashbury.
I regularly find ‘offerings’ there. Pipes and other marijuana smoking devices most commonly. But occasionally a bottle of spirits like this one.
I know the present owners, a retired couple who have lived there since 1977.
They had no idea what they were getting into when they bought it. The area was a HUD Redevelopment Zone and many people, such as my friend and landlord who was then a teacher at SF State, were able to buy houses in the Haight Ashbury at reasonably affordable prices.
The owners are very nice and very tolerant. But they usually just toss things left on the stairs.
To me it seems a more fitting ‘offering’ would be to consume these tasty substances and pour a few drops out in memory of those past residents.
I’m pretty sure the Dead would hate to see them go to waste.
- Fantastic Hieronymus Bosch Piñatas by Roberto Benavidez August 18, 2017LA-based artist Roberto Benavidez, a self-styled “half-breed, South Texan, queer, figurative sculptor specializing in the piñata form; playing on themes of race, sexuality, art, sin, humor and beauty”, has created a set based on the works of Hieronymus Bosch (1450 – 1516), … Continue reading →
- When Punks & Goths Swipe Their Kids’ Coloring Books August 17, 2017This happens: These are from a huge (and growing) Reddit thread called Coloring Corruptions. I realize that a macabre sense of humor is by no means limited to punks and goths but I know they’d all laugh at them. … Continue reading →
- Make crime pay. Become a lawyer. ~Will Rogers July 25, 2017by acidcow.com Source: Nobody Expects To Hear These Conversations In Court (45 pics)
- Someday Funnies XX July 22, 2017
- Recent random art in the Haight July 15, 2017On poles and the mini version (shown) above from TRAXB
- Adam West has shuffled off this mortal coil June 11, 2017Happy trails, Mayor West, aka Bruce Wayne, aka the Caped Crusader, aka schoolteacher-tuned-gunfighter Christopher Rolf (on The Rifleman). Thanks for your delightful work.
- Happy Cole Porter Day! June 9, 2017For which I offer these lyrics from the movie “Can Can” Here being sung by Maurice Chevalier to Louis Jourdan:
- 18 Fascinating Items From RadioShack’s Corporate Memorabilia Auction June 8, 2017via Consumerist As part of closing down, RadioShack is emptying out the company museum at its headquarters, and its corporate archives and vault of memorabilia. That means that the company is selling some valuable and cool items, and some boxes of … Continue reading →
- Trump used to be more articulate. What could explain the change? May 29, 2017A very interesting comparison between the linguistic and speech patterns of Donald Trump in the 80s and 90s and today. The amount of cognizant decay is unmistakeable. STAT asked experts to compare Trump’s speech from decades ago to that in 2017. All noticed … Continue reading →
- Banksy chips away at EU flag in first Brexit mural May 10, 2017DOVER (AFP).- British street artist Banksy has created his first mural inspired by Brexit, showing a workman chipping away at one of the stars on the European Union flag. The work appeared on the side of a house on Sunday … Continue reading →
- Fantastic Hieronymus Bosch Piñatas by Roberto Benavidez August 18, 2017
Search this site
The San Francisco Bay slideshow