Originally built as a hospital for injured railroad workers (now THAT’S a union!), today it serves as the library and publishing arm of UNAM, the Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico.
I passed this often as I went from el Centro to the house where I have been staying but it was always closed.
The first thing that caught my eye was the corbelled arches of the windows. (I’m sure you all know the difference between corbelled and Roman arches but just in case – corbelled arches are created by stacking cantilevered stones over a space to make it narrower and then adding a capstone. They are found in Egyptian, Incan, Mayan, and Khmer buildings and many others.
Roman arches used shaped elements that support each other in a curved arc and are held by a keystone.)
The intentional use of them in modern Meso-American architecture when they serve no structural function is a distinct nod to the builder’s predecessors.
One of the pictures is of a pillar in the courtyard. It is a Mayan piece that was discovered on site during the modern renovation.
- Welding mask, about $8 February 17, 2019Tempting but I’m afraid that it would be too big for my suitcase and I’m pretty sure they won’t let me take it as a carry-on.
- Huancayo, Peru January 28, 2019My destination, Huancayo, is 10,692ft/3,259m above sea level. I live about 260ft/83m above it. I have altitude sickness meds and know about mata de coca but I’m still concerned. I had infantile asthma and even when I ran long distance … Continue reading →
- Watts Towers January 25, 2019Glad to finally Simon Rodia’s amazing sculptures in person. They’re undergoing major restoration so we couldn’t get in but I still enjoyed them.
- Watts Towers January 25, 2019Glad to finally see
- Free Coffee for TSA January 25, 2019Today I bought a 30 cup catering container to give to the TSA folks who are being forced to work without pay
- Homies Go Low January 24, 2019I found this 2001 trophy from Lowrider Clothing on the corner of Haight & Ashbury on my way to work many years ago. When David Gonzales’ ‘Homies’ first came out in the early Noughts I spent a small fortune collecting … Continue reading →
- Norman Just Wants You to Be Clean January 23, 2019
- Scientists Place Trump’s Face in Baboon Feces December 18, 2018I strongly suspect that it was revealed by the illustrator or the scientists who published the paper. What’s the point of a great prank if you’re the only one who knows about it. On 31 January 2018, Kenneth Chiou and … Continue reading →
- Wonderful Idea for Bus Drivers to Learn What it Feels Like to Be a Bicyclist October 26, 2018In Cariacica, Brazil, part of the bus driver training is to have the drivers ride on a stationary bike while a bus zooms by them at top speed, to give them a sense of how cyclists feel. What a brilliant … Continue reading →
- Coca-Cola May Make Marijuana-Infused Drinks After Partnering With Cannabis Company: Report September 17, 2018Wanna get high on Coke? Back in the 60s one of the most enduring urban myths was that Big Brands, Inc (take your pick of which one) had trademarked/copyrighted/registered the name Panama Red/Acapulco Gold/Thai Stick (pick your popular choice). Fifty … Continue reading →
- Welding mask, about $8 February 17, 2019
Search this site
The San Francisco Bay slideshow