I have been trying to get a pic that shows the impressive size of the 6 km long pier that was built to create a deep water port for the export of sisal in the early and mid 20th c. It is 4 lanes wide.
Note that the trucks you see are full-size semis and the black things at the end are ‘AT-AT’ container cranes.
The Truthiness Shall Set You Freak
- New flying reptile species was one of largest ever flying animals
- Fancy & freaky fucking footwear!
- My Building Museum
- Haight Ashbury Street Fair Posters
- For Sale: 1939 Porsche Type 64
- Scored a Righteous T @ Haight Ashbury Today
- San Francisco MUNI in the 1970s
- TAKE LSD AND SEE 💡
- An Ex-Army Medic’s Collection
- Astronomers Make Massive Discovery on the Far Side of the Moon | Smithsonian
Search this site
The San Francisco Bay slideshow
The pier was started in 1936 by the Danes but was disrupted in 1939 by something or other that was happening at home for the next five years and it was finished by the Mexicans in 1947.